Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Check Up


I had an annual (or triennial) physical this morning. Every time one of these appointment approaches I get an image in my mind of a thorough examination of my physical health. I conjure memories of Heathcliff Huxtable sauntering on a treadmill with a dozen or so leads attached to his torso, followed by various tests and a long heart to heart with the doc.(Refresh your memory here ifyou’ve forgotten)
Instead I got a re-measure of my height and weight and a brief set of questions: Do you smoke? Do you exercise? Do you wear your seatbelt? Have you heard of whooping cough? Do you want the vaccine?
I Ask: What about this? What about that?
Doc says: We don’t cover this in a wellness exam. We’ll worry about that when you’re 50.
I guess I always expect some more pageantry or some kind of life altering moment. At least I got the hot new Tdap vaccine. It was pretty cool and I felt really hip, now and wow when they asked me if I wanted it and I said, “Chyaiah!“

No comments:

Post a Comment