Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Free, Free, Free Everyone Wants Something for Free


About a year ago I worked with a filmmaker whose team used Maya to create some scenes and animations for us at work.  As part of the contract with him we were given access to the models and other source files from the projects.  This was awesome but we also had a problem.  We had no way to use the models because we didn’t have the software to open it. 
Yesterday as I was back in the folder of unattainable assets I thought there must be a way to open them.  A quick Google search later I came across a solution so brilliant it’s as if it was actually made for the situation and in fact it was.  To open the program it was as easy as putting the software that created it on my computer. 
I thought this solution would have been out of the question because of the high cost of the professional software that was used to create the models.  I was surprised to find that the program is available for free from the publishers of the software at http://students.autodesk.com/ .  In fact you can download the entire suite of Autodesk software as a students or an educator. Thanks Autodesk.  That was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment