Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Organizational Benefits of Blogging

I have started many writing notebooks, journals, logs, etc. but they all end up dispersed to the ends of the earth (or at least the ends of the earth that I inhabit). As a result, anything I wrote and wanted to remember was ultimately lost, misplaced or generally inaccessible.  Even of the notebooks whose locations are known to me I still don’t have any catalogue of the contents and unless I page through them they may be as good as blank.

All this changed when I started storing my journals, musings and notes on the internet via this blog.  Now if I have a faint memory of a topic I wrote on I can just search for it via the handy search bar and the pages are retrieved before I could have even found the right notebook.  If nothing else comes out of this year of writing I’ve at least learned that the internet is a great place to write.  And if I ever forget exactly what I learned I can just search for it and I’ll be prompted with this very post.

Sure I still do some jottings on paper.  Just the other day I had a few topics I wanted to capture and they all came on relatively concurrently. In this case a notebook and pen are my best tool because I feel free to jot and jump across the pages.  For some reason the scribble of my hand seams more suited for that less organized work.

Now if I could only remember what I wrote down and where I put that notebook.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but what happens if we are off the grid? I think you need an occasional printing session and a nice, old fashioned three ring binder, just
    in case our new love of e-reading is really an appocolyptic plot to eliminate human access to the written word. Just sayin'- best to back up old school.

    ReplyDelete