Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Companion Animal


We’ve got a second dog in the house this weekend, a close friend of our dog. They hang and play and go to bed early, almost like they were sisters in a pack of domesticated dogs. They are animals whose genetic pallet has been molded from pack hunters to specialized retrievers and now they chase squirrels up trees and stalk sparrows on 2 ½ scoops of food every morning (to help them control their weight).
About a month ago I got a sudden urge, even sense of responsibility, to take my dog out into the wilderness to hunt. To give my dog a chance to run around in a field, chasing other animals, would be the best gift I could give her. But I don’t know how to hunt and I definitely don’t know how to help my dog hunt.  So, she’ll chase birds and tree squirrels and have play dates until I figure it out, or until she gets too old to run and play.

1 comment:

  1. She'd be super happy to hunt a frisbee thrown high into the air. Today's dog doesn't need to be a killer to be happy.

    ReplyDelete