Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Restoration


This morning in church we were asked in the sermon to think about our heavenly citizenship as described in Philippians 3:20. The big ideas expressed was to not look beyond our Earthly home toward a future life in Heaven but to live as colonizers of Earth for the Kingdom of Heaven. In this effort we are to take up the family business of redemption and restoration that God established then demonstrated and ultimately realized through Jesus. My wife and my father in law were asked to share a story of redemption and restoration in the context of my father in law's 25 years of sobriety after about 20 years of use.  The following essay is my wife's contribution to the testimony.

I don't know that I've ever been asked to share my side of this story.  I assume that most people know that my dad is a recovering drug addict.  Although probably - a lot of people don't.  But it isn't something that comes up in everyday conversation.  I don't introduce myself: "Hi, I'm Amy - my dad is a recovering drug addict." When PK asked me to share, I wasn't sure what I had to offer.  I've spent the last several days trying to come up with an answer to that question.

I vividly remember the night that my dad overdosed in front of me and my brothers.  I can replay the entire scene back in my mind.  I also remember lying at the top of the stairs with my brother Joe and listening to my mom cry on the phone late that night.  I have a recollection that my dad wasn't around for my 8th birthday - but honestly, I don't know if I actually remember that or if I've said it so many times that it has simply become one of my truths.  I remember visiting my dad a couple of times in the treatment center.  But other than that - I remember very little about those few months that my dad was gone. 

During these few months, God was faithful and he restored our family.  He was faithful to my dad as he battled his addiction.   Ultimately, He restored my dad's life back to being a husband and a father.  And now a grandfather. 

He restored my parent's marriage.  If there is one person in this that probably too often gets overlooked, I think it's my mom.  I mentioned that I remember very little about the months when my dad was in treatment - and even after he returned home.  God offered us restoration through preservation.  My mom stayed with my dad.  She had - what I consider to be a fairly valid excuse to leave - but she stayed.  She stayed and she kept our day-to-day lives normal. 
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  

I think that sometimes, God is faithful to us by allowing us to avoid the consequences our choices - our sin - can have on our lives.  My life could have turned out a lot differently because of my dad's drug use.  But God chose to restore our family.  All families go through trials, and we're certainly not perfect, but I'm happy to say that my family is a very bonded group of people.  On most days, there is no one I'd rather hang out with than my brothers and their families.  We're close.  Really close.  And that is by the grace of God.  God was faithful to our family.

God is faithful - even when we aren't.   And God is waiting, ready to restore our lives - ready to give us a hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment