Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Spoiler Alert – It Wasn’t Aliens

I really like fiction. Fiction is fun in part because it doesn’t have to stick to the facts.  However fiction is also compelling because it reflects who we are.  I heard someone say that all fiction is a lie but good fiction reveals the truth about who we are.  In addition in order for fiction to be believable it cannot stray too far from reality including the realities of the physical world. 

A few years back there was a lot of controversy over The da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.  A lot of people argued about the content of the book and a lot of people read the book too, including me. Boy was that a fun time. One of the best outcomes of reading The da Vinci Code was that I sought out more page turners by Dan Brown and others.

One of Browns earlier titles was Deception Point. The premise of the book is that scientists in the arctic found a meteorite buried below layers and layers of ice and that there were alien fossils imbedded in the meteorite.  As it turns out the meteorite wasn’t genuine and science was used as a weapon of deception but ultimately revealed the truth. 

So what’s the point? I’m not sure.  Maybe it’s that science is everywhere. Maybe it’s that science and fiction are cool. I’m really not sure.  I’ll sleep on it and have to come back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment