Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Essentials: Knots (Part 2)


There is no doubt that the topic of evolution is ubiquitous in our society.  It is hard to watch TV, read magazines or newspapers or listen to the radio and not hear about evolution or its implications. Evolution has stretched beyond the biological sciences into psychology, economics and philosophy.  Evolution has certainly been overused and strained beyond its useful limits when making claims about religion and the existence, or non-existence, of God.
This stress is felt in particular for folks who seem at times to live in the two worlds of Christianity and evolution.  It seems that around every corner is a potential for conflict.  For that reason I have held my tongue rather than spoken my mind and ultimately carried the unspoken stress like knots in my shoulders.
However, I have learned that like a knot the stress of living in two perceived worlds is best worked out with firm and constant pressure.  The therapeutic pressure for me has come in the form of books by authors and conversations with friends who have faced the realities science and theology present.  It has only been through listening to what others have to say, and enduring some painful moments as the knots have been massaged out, that I have come to where I am today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment