Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Why Won’t My Tires Hold Air? Who is John Galt?


I’ve been plagued by my bike tires since some time last summer.  I’ve repaired tubes, replaced tubes, inspected the tire for sharp objects, checked the wheel for intruding spokes and jagged edges but the tire won’t hold air. Why won’t my tire hold air seems to be asymptotically approaching the question: Who is John Galt?
I think a little explanation is in order. After finishing Deception Point I was faced with the decision of what fiction I would add to my current reading list. I decided on Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  I had the book in queue for some time and with a vacancy in the fiction section of my current stable of active books I decided to give it a try. I really didn’t know anything about the book except that people read it and it is somewhat well known.  Now, 3.32% in, I have two observations.  First – the text is an amazingly descriptive piece of writing. Second – “Who is John Galt?” is a reoccurring question that symbolizes a question or situation with no clear or even knowable answer.
There is no clear or perhaps even knowable answer for why my bike tires won’t hold air.
I nearly bought new wheels and a drive train to put on my bike to bypass my John Galt problem but I’ve decided to try one more thing.  I have been holding the original tires and tubes from the bike so I’ll see if they can provide any answers.  We’ll see.  If not, the next thing to do may be to throw some money at the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment