Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hostess Cupcakes: A Lament

Several months ago I ate a hostess Cupcakes in one bite.  It surprised me to realize that that particular Hostess cupcake was the first I'd eaten as a whole rather than deconstructing it bite by bite. Of course bite by bite was not an unexpected way to eat the cake for it allowed for the careful extraction of the cream filling. The filling was what always brought me back, probably because there never was enough. But still, I am a regular one bite eater of many foods so my first experience, those few months ago, readied itself for future nostalgia and immediate reflection. You see when I popped the pastry into my mouth I shoved it frosting side first. This technique proved its flaw instantly as my ability to chew was handicapped by the frosting that coated the inside of my mouth.  As I slowly and regretfully worked through the cake I thought, "Next time I'll eat the cake cake side first to allow for the frosting to mix with the cake facilitating a faster eating." Little was I to know that there would be no next time because there is no more Hostess. 

Requium for a dessert? No. Requium for a dream.

1 comment: