Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pince-nez

As it turns out pince-nez are the type of glasses that have no ear supports but rather "pinch the nose" which is where the name comes from. Pince-nez are also a perfect example of why I love reading on an e-reader and, as a related matter, why I love Wikipedia. I owe much of the successful posts over the last year to both of the previously described dearly beloved resources.
I do still read paper books and enjoy them for their delightful ability to be enhanced by the available light rather than possibly obstructed. I also enjoy paper for the angst that I don't feel when in my hands while traveling via certain corridors on public transportation. I also appreciate that they can be read during any stage of a commercial flight and that they never run low on batteries. I like being able to hold my finger on one page as I continue to march through the rest in order to go back to it. I like fanning through the pages when going back through to find a  particular passage. I like that the words are always in the same position of the page (this can be a particular problem when reading on a kindle).
There are many reasons I still love paper but I may love even more holding my finger on a word only to have the entire universe of knowledge connected to that word available for instant perusal.  I have always been a well intentioned reader. Bracketing interesting sections for follow up or additional research. Underlining interesting  words to look up. But I seldom if ever returned with a dictionary or additional library time. That's one thing that I really love about the e-reader. My good intentions have seamlessly transformed into well employed actions, and my reading is all the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment