Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Baseball

We had little league tryouts this weekend.  As one of the coaches I will draft a team then we will spend about a month preparing for the season before we play about 11 games followed by the post season.  Needless to say, over the next few months there will be a lot of baseball.  Tonight I was talked with the other dad that will coach with me and one of the thoughts we shared is that we are really lucky.
Sure the season can get long and there will be nights that I don’t want to go to practice and there will be game plans I don’t want to write and there will be kids who play in the dirt when they are supposed to be getting ready for the next pitch.  Sure all of those will happen but there are some other things that will help me keep perspective during those rough times. 
We live in a time and a place where I and my kids can dedicate significant portions of our time to a game.  My kids don’t have to work to help support the family and after the game we’ll always have a home to return to and food to eat. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, you might have to wait awhile for the food to be ready, but yeah. If you are really lucky, like me, your kids will still be playing ball when you are a grandpa, and you will have some grandkids to watch when you can. AND, you will have a chance to reach out to some kids who aren't yours, and be there for them too. Yup. Lucky.

    ReplyDelete