Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

One of the Better Smells


There are not many better smells than that of a camp fire.  Tonight I sat by a fire, cooked food, talked, looked at ducks, ate food and left smell great.  Even better, tonight when I got home and hugged my wife, who also sat by the fire, she smelled great too.  That’s one of the great thinks about sitting by the fire, it stays with you and reminds you of the warmth and fun you had minutes, hours or maybe even days before.  But it isn’t just the last fire that stays with you. 

The smell of smoke on your shirt can bring you back to family trips and late night conversations.  Tonight I’m remembering a trip last summer with friends and an amalgamation of gatherings in my backyard.  I’m remembering a birthday party at the lake when we sat out the first night and got rained out the second.  The smoke from tonight’s fire is now dispersed across the city and has perhaps even left the state but the smoke that remains on my shirt keeps the memories close at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment