Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Tattoos – Terrible Idea or Self Expression


BTW this post is being written by request. To personally request a blog topic ask me in person or leave a comment.  As you may be able to tell from the last month or so of writing  I'm not feeling very smart or creative right now so any prompts for productivity are appreciated. I anticipated this happening but I don't have a sure fire way to break out of it.
I’m personally far too hairy to consider a tattoo. That’s not to say that I don’t have an opinion.  When I see a tattoo I wonder what the person was possibly thinking.  What does Yosemite Sam or Tweety Bird really say about who you are as a person?  There are certainly cool tattoos out there but I’m not sure how cool they’ll look 50 or 60 years from now. 
The majority of the old dude ink you see these days are old and weathered relics of military service.  I’m a fan of these tats because they remind me of how awesome old people are and that we are who we say we are but it’s easy for us and others to lose sight of that.  I’m not sure what archetypal images and remembrances of the past my grand kids will conjure as they bear witness to watery and disheveled bands of barbwire.
Somehow seeing an anchor and rope with some faded text on a sinewy forearm tells me the meaning was there before the ink was cast, and remains even as the image fails.  I wonder how modern applications compare and often assume the inked seek meaning to be infused in them with the impregnation of pigment in their skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment