Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

3X


I’m either very optimistic, incredibly bad at estimating or a dishonest schmuck.  My inclination is to think that I am a combination of the first two. It’s not that I don’t have the capacity to be a horrible person, I know I do, just not as a manipulator.  I have learned though that if when I assess a job to be done it is best if I take my original estimate and multiply it by three.  By doing this conversion factor I will get to a much closer real estimate.  Case in point: Today I asked my brothers over to move the dirt from the sod project.  I estimated the project at 3 truck loads and about 1 hour of work.  The actual job ended up being 9 truck loads and 4 hours. Should have obeyed the rule of 3 from the beginning.

3 comments:

  1. I walked up to that pile of dirt and said "looks like about an hour of work, probably three truckloads..." so it might have just been rampant optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had that pile pegged at 3 loads up until the last three loads. Thanks again for your help. Hope the body is holding up.

    ReplyDelete