Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Vulpes vulpes


Both know they are there and that there is an element of danger, but neither is anxious enough to overwhelm their curiosity. For one, security is heightened by the knowledge that foliage can instantly cloak her appearance and four legs can provide a quick escape. For the other, human ingenuity and a respectful and historical control of nature provide the confidence that the encounter will end peacefully.
At least that’s what I see.
Special thanks go to my pal Tim for passing this photo on to me.  After I shared my initial jottings of the shot with him (as read above) Tim recounted a bit more of his encounter with this animal in the wild.  
Tim and his wife were hiking in and around some bluffs and saw the fox early in their excursion. At that time the teen fox was a bit more timid and when Tim attempted a photo the fox scurried hastily away toward a steep embankment.  As she stumbled along the slope I can only imagine what went through the creatures mind, “Awe cuss, I should have never gone this way. Why did I have to get a look at the Homo sapiens?” (It is a common practice for animals in the wild to refer to themselves and others by their Latinized binomial nomenclatures.)
Whatever regrets she held from the first encounter dissipated quickly in the fresh summer air. When a second opportunity to view the bipeds arose she snapped it up and captured the moment like a photograph, to be filed away in her memories and color the duration of her natural history.

No comments:

Post a Comment