Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Vulnerable


I decided a few years ago that I wouldn’t get sick any more.  Some have said that this is ridiculous and some have join me but since that time I have maintained very long stretches of good health by just deciding against being sick. Unfortunately there is a major flaw in my system that lets illness in and once in it has to run its full course.  The hours between my last waking moment and the instant I wake up are my most vulnerable moments for attack. Of course this is when I am sleeping and most importantly that I am unconscious.  When awake I can resist and deny and ignore the facts but when asleep I am defenseless.  In the last several years I have been sick twice, both came on at night when asleep.  Unfortunately not sleeping isn’t an option.  First and foremost I really like to sleep and second I’ve tried to go without it and it just doesn’t work. So I’ll remain vulnerable and have to deal with the fact that I’ll get sick every few years. Maybe next I’ll just have to decide to get well when sick. It’s worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a thought. Do you think if you let yourself get a little sick once in a while, your very occasional bouts of illness would be less drastic? When you get sick, you tend to get really, really sick. Kind of like the economy tends to have a drastic corrective downslide (the 90s) after a period of rapid growth? (the 80s) Is it better to let your body experience more frequent ebbs and flows? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete