Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

I Think I Could Run a Marathon

Registration for the Twin Cities Marathon opens February 2 but I won’t be signing up.  I haven’t run a marathon, I don’t run now and I haven’t trained for anything in several years but I have a sense that none of that matters for me.  I’m pretty sure I could run a marathon today. 

On more than one occasion I have asked my wife to drop me off 26.2 miles away to see if I could make it home but she thinks I’m ridiculous.  I’m guessing anyone who reads this and has trained for and completed (or not completed) the epic race will agree with my wife.  Some will probably even think I’m being disrespectful to anyone who has run a marathon or even disrespectful of the race itself.  I don’t mean any disrespect but I’m pretty sure I could run a marathon today without any training.
Don’t get me wrong I think the task is a great one.  To give some perspective, I live on the very northwest corner of Minneapolis and I work at the very south east corner of Minneapolis. There isn’t really a way to cut from one corner of the city to the other and the most efficient routes happen to also be the longest ones. On the way to work first I go south then I go east tracing half the perimeter of the city on my way.  (A similar route is available if I go east first then south but the result is the same).  In the car the trip is about 15-17 miles (depending on the route).  If I started at work and ran home using one of my usual routes I’d have to tack on 10 extra miles once I got home. Still I’m pretty sure I could run a marathon today in less than five hours.
Again, don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against training.  I think it would be a great experience to plan and implement a training schedule that molded and conditioned me to be a marathon runner.  The problem is I can’t see a scenario in my life today where I could invest dozens of hours a week for several months. Becoming a marathoner would be a huge time commitment but I could easily exchange one of my marathon TV watching couch sessions for a run across the city.  I don’t have the time to train for a marathon but I’m pretty sure I could make the time to run one.
 I recognize that I might sound crazy but let me assure you I’m not too crazy.  I’m pretty sure I could run a marathon but I know I’d need some water and food along the way.  I’ve bonked enough after a long days work or even when meals and activities weren’t in good sync to know that I would use far more energy than my body can carry. Well I guess I shouldn’t understate the energy I’m carrying these days.  I’ve started to stock up a bit more of the slow burning lipid known as fat. However, I know (just as well as anyone looking to drop a few pounds) that my body would be less than willing to relinquish the energy in those rich stores for such a frivolity as exercise so I’d need to supplement along the way.  With sufficient food and water to replace what I lose I’m pretty sure I could run a marathon.
Marathon running and training has been described as an art and a science.  I like both art and science and if I started running with five hours (or less) to spare and ample provisions for the journey I’m pretty sure I could run a marathon.

2 comments:

  1. I think you could run the distance. I'm hesitant to say you could complete it in less than 5 hours. But what do I know - I haven't ever trained for and ran...oh, wait a minute. Yes. I. Did.

    ReplyDelete