Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Ideal Wedding

I don’t know what the ideal wedding is but I do know what I like.  My preference may seem to represent somewhat of an inverse male perspective, or at least diverge from the stereotypical male perspective.  On TV we see men being dragged to weddings by their significant others or suffering through the ceremony in order to get to the party.  I can’t say I like every aspect of a wedding but I do know what I like.

I like the ceremony. I like that two communities come together to congratulate the couple.  I like congregating with comrads over chow.  I especially like if there are comfortable couches to crash on.  (I’m really not sure what’s going on with all of the letter C alliteration. I’m just going to go with it.)
One of my favorite parts of the ceremony is the bridal procession. Most of the assembled guests strain for a look at the bride or the dress but I know those view will be available as the ceremony proceeds. During the bridal procession my attention is fixed on the groom.  I see the groom because as she walks to him he sees the bride and in that moment his face shows the love and devotion that brings them together.
No matter what a guest chooses to looking at during the ceremony in some ways their perspectives has been assigned to them from the start.  By tradition (but not always) friends and family of the bride sit on the right and friends and family of the groom sit on the left.   The viewing angle of the proceedings is affected by these assignments but the perspective was established before anyone sat down.  In a recent wedding I attended we were reminded that any allegiance or connection we had to the bride or groom was no longer to them as individuals but to them together because together they are now one.  Guests enter representing two communities and leave united with each other through the couple.
Typically guests are united in another way after the ceremony – hunger.  In the spirit of the post nuptial party I’ll close with a wedding party poem.

The best food served is served early and often. 
Fare can vary from finger food to fancy but I just want it to be served already.  
Many dance to let it all hang out but on cutting a rug I can honestly do without. 
For a night of sedentary celebration a walk and a book can be a hit but the most welcome site for a sitter is a nice place to sit. 
Chairs are around but make backs say ouch.
All too rare is a nicely overstuffed couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment