Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

What Does an Alien Smell Like?


I’ve been reading about an alien human organ. We don’t need this organ but some studies suggest that without it we’d need 30% more caloric intake to maintain the same body weight. We’re not born with this organ but we inherit it from our parents. We don’t have genes to code for this organ’s tissues but the alien has genes homologous with some of our own. The alien is expert at fermenting but usually only its hosts think its products smell like the subtle floral notes of a fine wine.
To shed some light on this guest that works in the dark I’ll close with a revelatory haiku.

Polysaccharides
Indigestible unless
Gut flora work fast
If you feel like doing some more reading after finishing with this abbreviated post I suggest you check out this post from Keith Shields on space http://hungerandthirst4.blogspot.com/ . Keith is also a member of the Pastoral Science Cohort that I mentioned in a previous post and his Thirst blog is included on My Blog List to the right of this text.

2 comments:

  1. Ben, did you check my math on the blog entitled "Space?" :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't work the numbers to confirm them. I took it on faith that you had it right. Now that you mention it I'll go back in with my highly mathematically literate wife and double confirm their validity.

      Delete